Anyone can use the internet to locate and buy the components for a PCB assembly.
Why is “Kitting” important to the PCB Assembly? Kitting is the term used to describe the function of bringing all material requirements together. With all required items received, verified, placed in suitable packaging and given to the assembly facility; the assembly process may then begin. Sounds simple. So why do the Electronic Manufacturing Service (EMS) providers encourage professional kitting services?
Professional kitting services can be found within, or independent of, an assembly facility. With either choice, the function of bringing all material requirements together is essential for the assembly process to perform with the highest efficiency. Professional Kitting services far exceed the simple act of finding and buying.
· The Bill of Material (BOM) descriptions and the material call-outs are reviewed for any discrepancies.
· Authorized sources for materials are to be found and the BEST source for availability and pricing requirements is evaluated and identified.
· If availability conflicts with the assembly timeline, options need to be found and presented to the BOM owner for approval.
· A Costed BOM should be given to the purchaser of the Kit or BOM owner for approval prior to any purchase.
· With approval, the purchasing is completed based on the Costed BOM.
· All purchased materials are tracked to ensure on-time delivery.
· Incoming materials are counted, inspected and verified with the manufacturers datasheet to ensure the item ordered is the item received.
· Industry standards for ESD prevention are utilized to ensure the condition of all components.
· Materials are identified, organized and packaged to present to the assembly for efficient production.
Professional kitting services are appreciated for the many functions performed, especially the pre-screening and verification of the electronic components. No assembly line should EVER be down due to incorrect or missing components! Using a professional kitting service ensures the efficient assembly process and timely delivery of PCB projects.
When evaluating professional kitting service providers, please include CIC, Inc. on the list. California Integration Coordinators, Inc. has focused exclusively on kitting services since 1988 and is continually setting the bar for all kitting service providers. For more information call for any of the Project Coordinators (530) 626-6168 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.